St. Luke’s School is an independent school with a history of excellence spanning seventy-five years.
Today's St. Luke's School is really the fourth school on its current grounds. Three times over the years, the Church of St. Luke in the Fields established parish day schools, but the constantly changing neighborhoods made it difficult to sustain them.
As World War II ended and young middle-class families moved into the West Village, St. Luke's responded to the community's need for a school. With the help of Trinity Church, St. Luke's School opened its doors on September 24, 1945, with 19 children and two teachers in classrooms in the Parish House. The school operated as a division of the church until it achieved independence in 2012. In 2020, St. Luke's School fully expanded its student body after a decade of growth.
Take a tour through St. Luke's rich history below.
- 1820 - St. Luke’s Church is founded.
- 1891 - The Church becomes a chapel of Trinity Church.
- 1945 - St. Luke’s School opens its doors.
- 1946 - Rev. Weed succeeds Father Lewis as Vicar.
- 1947 - The school expands by one grade per year.
- 1951 - Katharine Taylor is named Principal.
- 1955 - The renovation of block and school building is completed.
- 1960s - St. Luke's School enrollment grows.
- 1972 - Rev. Ledlie Laughlin serves as Rector.
- 1974 - The Church of St. Luke in the Fields is formed.
- 1981 - A devastating fire sweeps through the Church.
- 1981 - Barbara Belknap becomes Principal.
- 1985 - The Church of St. Luke in the Fields is rebuilt.
- 1990 - Katherine Johnson serves as Interim Principal.
- 1991 - Jessie-Lea Hayes becomes Head of School.
- 1993 - The new playground opens.
- 1994 - Rev. Roger Ferlo becomes Rector of St. Luke's.
- 1995 - Ann Mellow becomes Head of School.
- 1997 - The Grace Sawyer Library is dedicated.
- 2005 - Rev. Caroline Stacey succeeds Rev. Ferlo as Rector.
- 2007 - Bart Baldwin is named Head of School.
- 2012 - St. Luke's School becomes an independent school.
- 2013 - St. Luke's School begins its official expansion.
- 2017 - St. Luke's School opens its two-story addition.
- 2019 - The school opens its renovated playground.
- 2020 - The expansion of the student body is completed.
- 2020 - The school completed the renovation of our outdoor amphitheater and courtyard.
- 2021 - St. Luke's School navigated in-person learning during a global pandemic.
- 2022 - St. Luke's opens its rooftop playfield and learning center.