St. Luke’s School is proud to celebrate 80 years of learning with joy and leading with heart in New York City’s West Village.

St. Luke’s School opened in 1945 to serve young families who were moving to the West Village as World War II ended. We opened our doors on September 24, 1945, with 19 children and 2 teachers in the Parish House of the Church of St. Luke in the Fields. For 67 years, we operated as a division of the church until becoming independent in 2012. At that time, we began a physical expansion of our facilities as well as our student body.
Now, in 2025 we are celebrating our 80th Anniversary with a robust enrollment of over 350 students, a dedicated professional staff, and a strong community ready to lean into our future while also honoring our past!
Throughout the course of the 2025-2026 school year we will have a series of celebrations to mark our 80th Anniversary and to bring our community together. Our hope is that we will come to understand more about our shared history, find more moments to enjoy the company of our current community, and rally around a shared vision for our School’s future.

Want to Get Involved?
- Christmas Fair - join us on December 13 at this year's Alumni and Alumni Parent canteen, we will be collecting stories from St. Luke's Community members as well as artifacts and photos you might have to share for our archives.
- 80th Anniversary Spring Benefit - The celebration at the Celeste Bartos Forum in the New York Public Library is sure to be "One For the Books"! Save the date of March 12, 2026. Invitations will be sent in January 2026.
- Share Reflections - A summary of our rich history is captured below but you are an integral part of our story! Please share your St. Luke's stories and reflections by clicking here.
- Share Photographs and Memorabilia - In our 80th year we are working to add to our archives. Please email development@stlukeschool.org to share photos or items from your own St. Luke's journey!
We hope you'll join us in the celebrations! Please email development@stlukeschool.org with any questions or to learn more!
Explore our History

- 1820 - St. Luke’s Church is founded.
- 1891 - The Church becomes a chapel of Trinity Church.
- 1945 - St. Luke’s School opens its doors.
- 1946 - Rev. Weed succeeds Father Lewis as Vicar.
- 1947 - The school expands by one grade per year.
- 1951 - Katharine Taylor is named Principal.
- 1955 - The renovation of block and school building is completed.
- 1960s - St. Luke's School enrollment grows.
- 1972 - Rev. Ledlie Laughlin serves as Rector.
- 1974 - The Church of St. Luke in the Fields is formed.
- 1981 - A devastating fire sweeps through the Church.
- 1981 - Barbara Belknap becomes Principal.
- 1985 - The Church of St. Luke in the Fields is rebuilt.
- 1990 - Katherine Johnson serves as Interim Principal.
- 1991 - Jessie-Lea Hayes becomes Head of School.
- 1993 - The new playground opens.
- 1994 - Rev. Roger Ferlo becomes Rector of St. Luke's.
- 1995 - Ann Mellow becomes Head of School.
- 1997 - The Grace Sawyer Library is dedicated.
- 2005 - Rev. Caroline Stacey succeeds Rev. Ferlo as Rector.
- 2007 - Bart Baldwin is named Head of School.
- 2012 - St. Luke's School becomes an independent school.
- 2013 - St. Luke's School begins its official expansion.
- 2017 - St. Luke's School opens its two-story addition.
- 2019 - The school opens its renovated playground.
- 2020 - The expansion of the student body is completed.
- 2020 - The school completed the renovation of our outdoor amphitheater and courtyard.
- 2021 - St. Luke's School navigated in-person learning during a global pandemic.
- 2022 - St. Luke's opens its rooftop playfield and learning center.
- 2023 - Tracy Fedonchik is named Head of School.
- 2024 – The Loggia renovation begins adding square free to the 2nd Floor Lower School classrooms.
- 2024 – The Makerspace opens for use by Lower and Upper School students.
- 2025 - St. Luke’s School celebrates its 80th Anniversary!
1820 - St. Luke’s Church is founded.
1891 - The Church becomes a chapel of Trinity Church.
1945 - St. Luke’s School opens its doors.
1946 - Rev. Weed succeeds Father Lewis as Vicar.
1947 - The school expands by one grade per year.
1951 - Katharine Taylor is named Principal.
1955 - The renovation of block and school building is completed.
1960s - St. Luke's School enrollment grows.
1972 - Rev. Ledlie Laughlin serves as Rector.
1974 - The Church of St. Luke in the Fields is formed.
1981 - A devastating fire sweeps through the Church.
1981 - Barbara Belknap becomes Principal.
1985 - The Church of St. Luke in the Fields is rebuilt.
1990 - Katherine Johnson serves as Interim Principal.
1991 - Jessie-Lea Hayes becomes Head of School.
1993 - The new playground opens.
1994 - Rev. Roger Ferlo becomes Rector of St. Luke's.
1995 - Ann Mellow becomes Head of School.
1997 - The Grace Sawyer Library is dedicated.
2005 - Rev. Caroline Stacey succeeds Rev. Ferlo as Rector.
2007 - Bart Baldwin is named Head of School.
2012 - St. Luke's School becomes an independent school.
2013 - St. Luke's School begins its official expansion.
2017 - St. Luke's School opens its two-story addition.
2019 - The school opens its renovated playground.
2020 - The expansion of the student body is completed.
2020 - The school completed the renovation of our outdoor amphitheater and courtyard.
2021 - St. Luke's School navigated in-person learning during a global pandemic.
2022 - St. Luke's opens its rooftop playfield and learning center.
2023 - Tracy Fedonchik is named Head of School.
2024 – The Loggia renovation begins adding square free to the 2nd Floor Lower School classrooms.
2024 – The Makerspace opens for use by Lower and Upper School students.
2025 - St. Luke’s School celebrates its 80th Anniversary!







divider
watch this video to Learn more about the 2024 Loggia Renovation!
Loading from Vimeo...


































